We at Macon Community Hospital want to help you get well and return to your home or a home-like setting.
After an illness, stroke, injury, or surgery you may be getting better but still need some additional skilled care before returning to a home environment.
Skilled nursing is a level of hospitalization care for patients who require certain services. Skilled nursing services (Swing Beds) are extremely beneficial when a patient is ready to leave the acute care level of a hospital stay, but is not yet well enough to return home.
What is the Swing Bed Program?
To serve the needs of smaller hospitals and communities, Medicare has established coverage to “Swing Bed” programs. Swing Bed is the term Medicare uses to describe a hospital, such as Macon Community Hospital, ability to provide services that can switch from the acute care status to skilled care status.
Macon Community Hospital offers a Swing Bed Program as an alternative to prolonged acute hospitalization or short term nursing facility placement for post-acute extended care. The Swing Bed Program provides skilled nursing care and rehabilitation services. This may include IV therapy as well as physical and speech therapy.
In order to qualify for Swing Bed services at Macon Community Hospital, a person must meet the following requirements:
- Be covered by Medicare Part A
- Have had 3 overnights in an acute care bed prior to Swing Bed services
- Have an ongoing diagnosis and needs that require skilled care as defined by Medicare
- Some private insurance plans cover Swing Bed services; your discharge planning nurse can help you verify benefits if necessary
Common diagnoses treated in this program include patients with extended IV therapy needs, orthopedic surgeries (hip/knee replacement), fractures, post-surgical procedures, neurological disorders (stoke), and generalized weakness due to CHF, COPD, pneumonia, and other chronic conditions.
Why Choose Macon Community Hospital Swing Bed:
- Low nurse to patient ration
- Our hospital ensures that a physician is readily available
- In-house 24-hour emergency care if needed
- Physical, speech, and respiratory therapists available as needed
- In-house lab, imaging, and surgery if needed
- Most importantly, we are close to your home, family, and friends!!!
Macon Community Hospital is pleased to offer this service to our community and we look forward to serving you and your family. If you have further questions or would like more information on this program, you may contact our social services or discharge planner at 615-666-2147.